Monday, January 27, 2014

Twin Visit

Today I got to bathe a 10 day old twin.  Upon walking in the door for a postpartum visit with my twin mom, I was greeted as "Aunt Lisa" and handed a baby.  When my first guess as to which one it was was wrong, and they told me his name, I wittily responded, "That was going to be my second guess!"

He was starving and looking for a food source as soon as they placed him in my arms, so my next step was to feed him 2 oz. of breast milk from a bottle, which he readily latched onto, while Mom ate some lunch.  Ten days in with twins I think anyone would be looking for reprieve, and they welcomed the extra set of arms.

As we were discussing umbilical cords, the subject of a bath came up, and this little guy had not had his yet.  One thing led to another and Dad was suggesting I demonstrate the first bath for Mom to see, since she had been recovering from surgery in the hospital at the time they had received their baths there and had not seen it done.

He squawked a little at first, but ultimately we were able to get him calmed down and enjoying the warm water.  At my first mention of getting him out, he became quiet and content and mom asked, "How does he know?"  It was then that I got to explain how babies are very intuitive.

After mom wrapped him in a towel and we got him dressed, it was markedly nap time.  I sat down in a chair and I think this little guy could've gone for a nice doze in my arms, which is unfortunate because mom and dad were half-way there too and it was time for me to leave.  The instinctual part of me wanted to stay all afternoon and facilitate a much-needed nap for all, but I was out on business and had my own children to get back to.  Thank goodness they have no short supply of extended family.

I take it as a huge compliment that my clients would call me "Aunt Lisa," and I guess 2 days of labor will bond you like that.  It's an honor, and a privilege, to be serving families in the capacity that I love.  I read a great quote on FB yesterday by C.S. Lewis: "The homemaker has the ultimate career. All other careers exist for one purpose only - and that is to support the ultimate career."  Myself included, being a mother is the ultimate calling, and it is a privilege to assist others in that work.

No comments:

Post a Comment