Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thanksgiving in Seattle

As has been our tradition for the past several years, we drove up to Seattle for Thanksgiving to be with my family. It was about a 13 hour drive each way, and we opted to do it through the night. This was a nice change from our usual day trip due to the fact that we by-passed traffic, shaved about 2 1/2 hours off our commute time, didn't have to stop for food, and the kids slept the entire way. As for me, I slept about as well as you can sleep in the front seat of a car being 6 1/2 months pregnant, but we survived. The time spent up there was more than worth it.

The Menu:
Turkey with stuffing
Honey-baked ham
Mashed potatoes and gravy
Fresh sweet potatoes
Green bean casserole
Carrot casserole
Cheese ball with crackers
Clam dip
Hot spinach dip
Marinated pickles
Black olives
Stuffed mushrooms
Pineapple jell-o salad
Fresh cranberries
Rolls
Apple pie tartlettes
Pumpkin pie
Pecan pie
Pumpkin cheesecake
Double chocolate cream pie
Fudge
Homemade whipped cream

You can say we like to cook. Half the fun was being in the kitchen together.


The girls were in charge of decorating the table, and they did a very nice job.


Brotherly love.


My dad and step-mom of 27 years.


Like I said, we spent a lot of time in the kitchen. She practically threw this apron around my neck the minute I got out of bed. (Just kidding Candy.)


The girls and their candle stick wands as they were calling them.


My dad and "the boys." I never thought the day would come when my "little" brothers would be taller than my husband. My oldest younger brother, Sean, is 6'3". You could say we have some height on our side of the family.


Me with the girls. That's my sister Sarah in the purple scarf. She's just 3 1/2 weeks older than Ashlee (yes, we did it "Father of the Bride II" style.)


My niece Alyssa and Kaitlyn. These girls had a blast together.


My other niece Reagan and my beautiful sister. Notice the abundance of hand-crocheted hats and hair bands? She's in heaven with these girls.


Who-ah! The whole gang. There are 3 families here: my dad's, ours, and my sister's. Personally, I am quite proud of our posterity.


We had the kids' table set up in the living room next to the adults' table. They had their own centerpiece and candles, and the ambiance was quite nice.


Alyssa more mesmerized by the candle than the delicious plate of food in front of her.


Catching my sister in a goofy moment (better than the one I was going to post!)


Me and my honey.


My dad, step-mom, sister and I at the buffet table. When you're serving 18 people, this is the only way to do it.


Noah looked so handsome in his white shirt.


Seeing that plate makes me hungry again. One of the disadvantages of not having Thanksgiving at your own house is that you don't get any of the leftovers!


This was our girls' night out...... a trip to Bellevue to see New Moon! Yes, it was good. Go see it.


The girls had fun getting dressed up and putting on make up for their night out on the town. Bellevue was nice and festive for the Christmas season.


My sister has this AMAZING play room at her house, and to my kids this is the best part about coming up to visit. All the cousins play together and I seriously don't see my kids for like, 3 days. It's great.


Too cute for words.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

We miss you guys already!

2 comments:

  1. It was so wonderful having you come up for another year of family time and fun time. I'm so greatful that you make the long journey so that everyone can bond:-) I love these pics.-kinda curious though...what could be worse than the face I am making in that one pic.???-but don't you post it, as YOU know about the pics. I have on my camera-LOL:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun!!! SO nice to be with family over the holidays. Have to say my favorite picture is of those little cuties playing. I think it's like the second to last one!!

    ReplyDelete