Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Night I Hope to Never Repeat


Well, yesterday started off like a good enough day. I woke up with a determination to get my house in order, so I spent the better part of five hours sweeping, mopping, doing dishes, vacuuming, and sorting laundry. I even rented a Rug Dr. and steam-cleaned the couches- my above and beyond chore for the day.

Afternoon came. I was feeling pretty good, the house was looking pretty good, so I decided to go in the kitchen and fulfill my family's request for baked goods. I made another batch of my cinnamon raisin bread as per Forrest's request, and homemade granola bars for Ashlee. I then got a start on my pan of lasagna to put in the oven for dinner.

No sooner was the lasagna ready to come out of the oven than I felt a wave of nausea coming on. "It'll pass," I thought, "just get some dinner in your stomach." Mind you all I had had to eat in the day was two peanut butter banana smoothies, one with protein powder, and a couple of samples here and there of cheese slices and granola bar dough as I worked in the kitchen.

Well, I never made it as far as dinner. Within minutes of that first feeling of nausea I was up in the bathroom feeling violently sick. I kept thinking that relief would come, but it never did. In the heat of the moment I started processing what could have been the cause of this sudden onset of sickness. Was it the flu? Was it that I hadn't eaten enough? Or worse yet, was it something bad that I had eaten? Certainly this couldn't be just pregnancy hormones. I even had Forrest Google "botulism" from the raw honey that was in the granola that I ate. There had to be an answer to why I was being wracked with such torment. After the third round I climbed into bed, so exhausted I could only keep my eyes open half way, and fell asleep. I stayed nauseous for the first half of the night, but slept soundly for the most part. It wasn't until this afternoon that the feeling fully passed.

What I did gain from this experience is a sympathy for women who go through this all the time. I really don't think I would have many kids if this is the way I felt in pregnancy. I am still trying to figure out the rhyme and reason behind morning sickness, including why I've been spared from it this time around. If that is all I suffer, than I consider my duty paid. In the mean time, God-speed the next 2-3 weeks...

2 comments:

  1. Alright, I'm going to give you some "older sister" wisdom: to me it seems obvious-you overdid it and didn't eat enough and had too much sugar also (in the smoothies), that sent you crashing once you hit your sugar low, leading to your body freaking out on you. Take it easier than that and you should be fine:-)) Sorry though-that doesn't sound fun AT ALL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The smoothies didn't really have any sugar though- just banana, milk, natural PB and a little bit of honey. Whatever the reason, it was an effective way to get my body to rest! I was in bed from 7p.m. to 7a.m. I'm back to fine now.

    ReplyDelete