Thursday, November 4, 2010

T.V., Laundry, and the Importance of 5:30 Dinner

(a.k.a. another real-life random post.)

I am so excited. Tomorrow morning between 8-10 we have a date with the Comcast guy! That's right, after nearly five years of going without, we are getting T.V. put back in our house. I had an embarrassing moment the other night when I was in Bel-Air picking up some Halloween candy for the Trunk-or-Treat. One of the guys from Chase bank struck up a conversation with me. We talked briefly, and as I started to walk away, he said to me inquisitively, "Go Giants?"

"Huh? Um, no, we don't really follow sports."

"Well are you a Giants fan?"

"I don't know, I could be...?"

He smiled and let me walk away.

I continue to the check out, noticing all the cashiers decked out in their Giants gear. Clueless.

It wasn't until I got back into the car that Forrest informed me we were in the midst of the World Series. The WORLD SERIES! And I hadn't a clue. Hooooowww embarrassing. Seriously, I'm that detached. What do you want from a homeschooling SAHM whose social interactions are limited to Sunday church and the Mom's club?

Want to know what I am most excited about? A Baby Story and Food Network. Those are my faaaaavorite. Every time I go into my bank it's Rachel Ray or that cute Italian lady on the screen and I practically step out of line to watch. I can remember the days when I would stay home sick from school as a kid and spend all day watching cooking shows (back then it was Yan Can Cook!) Anyhow, I love them. I want Martha Stewart to teach me how to make a Thanksgiving turkey and homemade place cards this year.

I'll have you all know that I am completely caught up on my laundry, and intend to stay that way. I've decided it's so much better to feel sick in a clean house than in a dirty one, so today I slaved. The kids slaved. And to top it all off, we ended the night with a Family Home Evening lesson on division of chores and Mom's expectations, and how our house is like the temple and we should keep it clean.

Me: "Did you know that a mom on my blog said that if her kids can operate a DVD player, or put on a video game, they can run the washer and dryer?"

Forrest: "Yeah, and if you can play Monopoly you're ready to go out and get a job. If you can ride a bike you might as well go get groceries." (can always be counted on for a good dose of sarcasm during FHE.)

But in all honestly, I agree with this concept. After a break down of what needs to be done daily, weekly, bi-weekly, and monthly so that "a guest could come in at any time and use our bathroom and we would not be embarrassed," the kids are eager to help... more than they already do. Tonight, my house is clean, and I am optimistic. (Sometimes I wish my mood weren't so directly related to the state of my house, but it is so I'm going to run with it.)

Another testimony I gained tonight: the importance of adhering to a schedule. To have dinner served, cleaned up, cookies made, and the dishwasher going by 6:30 p.m. is a beautiful thing. And when the kids are bathed and in bed and the clock reads 7:35, life is a little sweeter. Now I can blog, write in my journal, fold a load of laundry, spend some R&R with my husband and still be in bed at a decent hour. This week I will try to remember this- it all starts with 5:30 dinner.

Anyhow, that's all I have for tonight on the list of things-that-mean-much- more-to-me-than-they-ever-will-to-you. I only hope that someone, somewhere, can relate on some level. In the grand scheme of things, we're all in this together. Tomorrow, it's me and Martha... or Giada... or Paula...? Eeeeeeee! (That's a squeal of excitement.)

7 comments:

  1. 735???

    Man, I don't think my kids have ever gone to bed at 735. =) That would be nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might like 19 kids and counting too! Now, all you need is some stormy weather and you'll be all set:-))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa!!!! I want you and your family to come to Jaroms baptism. It is going to be Monday the 29. It would be a perfect FHE plus then I can see and hug you xoxo. Bella and I have watched a show about girls who didn't know they were in labor or even with child. And one time I had to go to the bathroom so bad on a long road trip my stomach was cramping. Bella was for sure I was going to have a baby :)there really is so much fun good stuff on tv. I'm excited for you.We finally caved and got it when we moved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty exciting! You are going to LOVE Giada's new cooking show. It's absolutely breathtaking and beautiful. I've only seen it once or twice. I should record it. :)

    Kudos for getting organized. Now that we're done with soccer practice, we can get on even more of a schedule. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The kids and I just watched the first episode of Giada at Home... loved it! I want to make her stuffed tomatoes! (Not sure about those basil smoothies, though.)

    Roxanne- I do want to watch 19 Kids and Counting. I guess it comes on Tuesdays?? And yes, I put in my request for stormy weather. That just sounds cozy! = )

    ReplyDelete
  6. From a stay-at-mom turned working mom - all kids at home from 11 - 18 can/do the laundry. Can they fold clothes? Of course not! Can your Dad do the laundry? He has no idea where the washer is. My trick - when gathering up the dirty - - put the whites, darks or towels (whichever is in high demand) in the washer and when full, turn it on. One load a day is better than 7 on Saturday. Also, the Barefoot Contessa has great, healthy cooking ideas. I'll send you a recipe for homemade ricotta!
    Love - Candy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooooh, homemade ricotta? I'm game. Can't wait to see you guys in a few weeks!

    Next weekend on Food Network they're showcasing all the Thanksgiving recipes. I plan on getting inspired!

    ReplyDelete