Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The Night of the Solar Eclipse

Sunday's solar eclipse was so awesome.  That was the best night I've had in a long time.  I've always had a fascination with the moon, and something as phenomenal as watching it cross over the sun was just magical.  The whole evening felt electrifying.
I set Ashlee to work making a pinhole viewer through which we could view the eclipse.  However, we soon realized that it's shadow was cast all over the side of our house through the trees. 
And this- hundreds of eclipses in the sun spots.  See them?  We were so excited upon discovering this.
This next group of pictures was taken by the kids.  They're not the greatest in terms of quality, but I feel they really capture the moment. 

Feeling the drastic temperature change.  I think it dropped about 10 degrees in 10 minutes as the moon crossed the sun.  I suddenly realized, "10 minutes ago I was sweating, and now I'm not!"  It was surreal.
The kids had a lot of fun playing in the grass in the shadow of the moon.  The front yard had this mystical shade to it, like it was evening time but the sun was high in the sky.  Very energizing.
After the eclipse we packed up dinner and headed over to the temple.  We didn't have much daylight left by the time we got there, but the kids had enough time to play some baseball and run around.  Jacob did 130 somersaults in the grass... wish I had a video.  I made lemon pepper chicken, oven roasted potatoes, farmer's market salad, and homemade honey mustard.  It turned out really yummy.
Driving by the fountain on our way out.  The gates were closed, but we cannot leave the temple without seeing the fountain.  It's the kids' favorite, and mine too.

1 comment:

  1. It was crazy how the lighting changed and everything cooled down. You got some great pictures of those shadows.

    ReplyDelete