Thursday, August 20, 2009

In Good Hands

I had my first prenatal today with my midwives, Marlene and Kaleem. Let me just say that these are two of the most gentle, loving, patient, spiritual women I know, and seeing them brought back the flood of good feelings I have about homebirth and midwifery. They truly are amazing, full of wisdom and knowledge, and are the most selfless people you will ever meet. After our 3rd natural birth and first homebirth, Forrest and I decided that so long as the decision was in our hands, we would never birth in a hospital again. This will now be my 3rd home water birth with Marlene and Kaleem, and I look forward to another amazing experience.

One of the things I love about my prenatals with the midwives is that they take their time. The visits take place in their home, and the "exam room," which feels more like a family room, is equipped with a couch, chairs, a padded "exam" table, pictures, along with doll houses, a tree house, cars, a play kitchen, and puppets. My kids look forward to the visits just as much as I do. The highlight of today's visit was hearing the baby's heartbeat for the first time, which was 168 bpm. This made my pregnancy feel so real, and let me know that the effort of these last 3 months has not been in vain. There's actually a tiny baby in there. Marlene explained this to Noah and Kaitlyn as they stood next to me at the table listening to the heartbeat, and Kaitlyn kept repeating, "tiny, tiny." I was given a folder containing tons of information on nutrition, herbs and supplements, birth supplies, positive affirmations, and post-partum care. In addition, Marlene gave me my first bag of Mother's Tea, a special blend they have crafted at the local botanical store that I always love drinking throughout my pregnancies. I left the visit feeling so uplifted and re-energized about my pregnancy. If there's one thing midwives do for women, it's to empower them.

Pregnancy is such a gift, and I look forward to embarking on the journey that lies ahead and will eventually bring another sweet baby into our arms.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great first appointment, and I can't wait to meet the new baby in the family, when he or she arrives! Have you made a decision on whether or not you will find out boy or girl before the birth-I hope you do, b/c waiting is so hard!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We (I) have decided not to find out what the baby is before the birth. I think Forrest will have a harder time with this than I will, but I think it will be a neat experience for us to find out together at the birth. I've heard it is very special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy for you and hopefully one day I can join you in a home birth!

    ReplyDelete