Saturday, August 15, 2009

Lovebirds

For the first time in nearly 7 years, Forrest and I spent a night away from the kids. Our destination? Pacifica. Let's just say we'll be doing this more often.



The first night there we drove a few miles up Highway 1 to Princeton Harbor, a cute little place that is adorned with fun restaurants and shops. Our favorite part was walking out on the pier and seeing all of the seals and seagulls. We spotted this little guy coming out on the dock to say hi.



We found this relatively new upscale restaurant called Crab Landing (great referral, Tiff.) We were so impressed by the ambiance and professional service. We had a table upstairs overlooking the ocean, and dinner was so good. Forrest had fish and chips with housemade coleslaw and tartar sauce, and I had the crab and scallop fettucini with pesto sauce. I was so tired afterwards I could've fallen asleep at the table.



We stayed in a hotel that was right on the beach, and it was so nice to climb into bed without having to do dishes or put the kids to bed. We were just lulled to sleep by the waves.

The next morning we headed into Half Moon Bay, where we made a stop at this cute little Farmer's Market. They had lots of yummy goods to offer, but I settled on a bottle of hand-crafted strawberry basil balsamic vinegar. It is soooo delicious, and I can't wait to have some on a salad. Afterwards we took a walk on the beach.



We lucked out with another weekend of beautiful coastal weather.



This was the most amazing sight. Literally hundreds of seals swimming up and down the ocean just off the coast from where we were, leaping and diving into the water. You could always spot the seals by the flock of seagulls and pelicans following them. I have never seen so many marine animals in one place.

(You have to click on this picture and see the seals!)



We ended the day by having lunch at this cute little historic restaurant right on the beach. We could see the seals from our table. Apparently the place used to be an old bootlegging and prostitution brothel. (I discovered this interesting piece of history on the back of the menu.) Nonetheless, the atmosphere was nice and cozy, and I couldn't get enough of staring at the ocean.



I can't believe we waited almost 7 years for this. We were laughing at ourselves for missing the kids so much, but it was also nice to feel like a couple again. I guarantee we'll be carving out more time for ourselves from now on. Until then, I'm back on mommy duty and grateful for it.

3 comments:

  1. I love how you narrate so well-it looks like you had a great time on the coast. Those seals looked like fun to watch, too! Your dinner sounds like something I would have loved, yum!!! Thanks for sharing these pics:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you had fun! You have to take as many trips as you can before #5 comes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you guys had fun! We sure had fun with the kids, and would definatelly do it again!

    ReplyDelete