Friday, July 10, 2009

Mind Over Matter

I have a theory pertaining to morning sickness. You feel nauseous, so you eat, then you feel nauseous because of what you ate, so you don't eat it again, which forces you to eat a new food the next time you are nauseous... so the cycle goes. I have decided that this is Mother Nature's way of encouraging us to eat a variety of foods to ensure that our bodies are getting the necessary vitamins and nutrients required to maintain a healthy pregnancy and to grow a baby. Makes perfect sense to me, but it causes undue suffering nonetheless. So, this time around I have struck a deal with Mother Nature. As part of the deal, I have devised this mantra:

"I will feed my body what it needs, I don't need to feel sick."

Whenever I feel a wave of nausea coming on, I repeat the mantra in my head, then I eat. And do you know what? It is working. I will be 7 weeks on Monday, and no nausea yet.

I am a firm believer in the power of the mind, and I truly believe that the body is susceptible to the thoughts of the mind. If my mind can get me through labor without any drugs or interventions, why not the first trimester?

Besides, it has to work. I've decided that with 4 kids to keep up with I am way too busy to slow down for morning sickness this time around.

4 comments:

  1. hee hee. Can't imagine having morning sickness with 4 kids running around! Keep it up!

    I never get morning sickness....or haven't yet with the two that I've had. My mom said she never got it either. But I'm like you too in that I eat a variety and just don't let my mind go there so I'm not sure if its genetics or a frame of mind. A little of both perhaps?

    One of my favorite classes at BYU was titled: Mind, Body Spirit ..... it touched the very essence of your post and was SUCH an amazing class. Gave me a completely different view of how all were connected and how what we do, say, think and feel can have an effect on us.

    I love it! I love it! I love it!

    Keep up the good work. Can't wait to see #5

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, that really gives me something to think about. I am now a beliver in pain free labor so why can I not have a sick free pregnancy???? I will give it a try. By the way I loved talking to you today. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pain free labor? Tiffany is nuts! I'm a believer in natural birth but holy moly it hurt! I told myself with my 2nd pregnancy I was not going to get morning sickness and I thought I could talk myself out of it...it didn't work. Maybe I was bossing myself around too much...I'll try you're tactic next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I've done it natural 4 times and I love it, but make no mistake, there is nothing pain-free about it! Hey, more power to you Tiff.

    ReplyDelete