Friday, July 17, 2009

One Down, One To Go


One of my goals this summer was to get both of my boys (ages 3 and 5) swimming. Seeing that I'll be beached with a new baby next summer (and have been for the past 5 years, which is why the boys are not swimming yet,) I figure now is my window of opportunity. Ashlee set a high standard by learning to swim across the pool above and under water at age 3, and the boys are (um, constantly) reminded of this (by me.) Today we had success. Jacob is swimming... under water! I am very proud of him. We spent the afternoon at the El Dorado Hills Community pool. First I would lead him around in the water holding on to my hands, then by a finger, until finally he let go and did it himself. He can also float underwater for a very long time. Noah took the first step by sticking his face underwater, and he likes to float around in his life jacket, so he's not far off either. Kaitlyn got dunked a few times, too. Can't say she liked it very much, but I am acclimating her nonetheless. Now, next summer I'll be able to relax on the beach (or poolside) with the baby and not have to worry as much about the other ones. When we were leaving the pool Jacob said, "You're, like, the nicest mom. I knew you could teach me to swim." We then headed to the store to get the promised "treat." Hey, I never said I was above bribery.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! Where there is a will there is a way, and you have the will!! I need to get on that with my own chidren as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha, that is so adorable! I love Jacob's comment. There's no shame in bribery (well, to a point). Eli has milkshakes and In-n-Out for I think his first 8 swimming lessons (SHAME!). But hey, he likes swimming now right!!?? I can't believe how fast your kids picked up swimming! Just like that!

    ReplyDelete