Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Anti-Anxiety Remedies

For whatever reason I've been experiencing an extreme amount of anxiety this pregnancy. Well, I could list a few factors that are most likely contributing: being in a small house, not getting enough sunshine (our street is lined with pine trees,) not exercising (twin pregnancy + surrogacy = extra precaution,) lack of socialization / friends, build up of everyday stressors in being a stay-at-home mom and managing a household of 8.

Some of this I have no control over, so when my anxiety reached an all-time high last week I decided to step up my efforts in combating it.  Since drugs are not an option for me, I turned to every natural remedy I have at my disposal.  Here is what I've found to be effective so far: 

 Essential oils: doTERRA to be exact.  They are the best quality from what I understand.  I just so happen to have a friend in the ward who is a vendor (I have many friends who sell the product, actually, but she is closest,) and I went to her house for some samplings.  She recommended a blend called Serenity, which has lavender, chamomile, vanilla, and sandalwood.  I place it behind my ears and inhale deeply straight out of the bottle.  My other favorite is wild orange.  We call it our "happy oil." :)



My other go-to throughout the day are my herbs in tincture form; valerian and hops.  Valerian is known as "herbal valium" because of its instant calming effect.  Hops aids in relaxation and sleep as well (it's what they make beer out of.)  I put half a dropperful of each in a glass of water and drink 3-6 times a day.  These have been most effective.

   
   
Blessed sunshine!  This is probably the #1 culprit right here.  I try to walk down the street and back (about 2 miles) on sunny days, or simply sit out front in my lounge chair.  Makes up for the house being shaded by pine trees all day.  I long for a sunny house in the foothills.
              
 


I joined a gym.  It's 24 hours and right down the street from our house.  Today was workout #1, and it felt great.  I figure the belly is going to continue to grow, but nothing wrong with keeping the rest of me in shape!  And when these little guys come out I'll be able to start tanning, which is conveniently right next door to the gym.  I plan on working out for about an hour 3-5 days a week.  I know it will help.








     

This: meditation.  I have connected with an awesome LDS author who wrote one of my favorite books on natural childbirth from the gospel perspective, and she is teaching a meditation webinar where I am learning many valuable techniques.  I only do about 7 minutes a day, but it's enough to create some "me" time, clear my mind, and focus on the present.  I'm hoping it will become a lifestyle habit.





No comments:

Post a Comment