Saturday, March 9, 2013

Two Loads a Day Keeps the Laundry at Bay

It's a Saturday morning and I'm blogging about... laundry.  Because, it feels so good to have it caught up.  I haven't been this on-top of laundry since my postpartum days when all I did was stay home and work around the house.

So, here's my technique: it's as simple as two loads a day.  Each morning, I drag the hamper from my bedroom out into the hallway.  I try to do a quick scour around the house (living room, kids' room, bathrooms, etc.) and collect any laundry that might be lying around then add it to the hamper.  I sort the laundry into lights and darks, throwing one load into the washer as I sort.  Within 30 minutes they're ready to switch.  When the first load is dry, I bring it to my bed and fold it immediately.  When it's sitting there folded it makes it much easier to put the clothes away, opposed to them being piled into the deep recesses of a basket.

By lunch time all the laundry is washed, folded, and put away, and I'm looking at an empty hamper.  Then of course it starts all over again the next morning.  The point is I am no longer overwhelmed by insurmountable amounts of laundry.  I have come to view laundry as the dishes; as a constant chore.  It is never "done" and once or twice a week is not enough.  Two loads a day keeps it manageable.

No comments:

Post a Comment