Wednesday, October 21, 2009

My Christmas Rag Quilt

It's been nearly a year since I was first inspired to make a rag quilt. At last year's Relief Society Christmas celebration, ("Love in Every Stitch" was it?) I really enjoyed looking at the display of rag quilts hand-made by sisters in our ward, and from henceforth was determined to make one of my own. So, I did my research, priced the fabric, browsed many patterns for ideas, and came up with this:

It wasn't really a pattern per se, but rather a modge podge of coordinating fabrics that happened to be on sale at Hancock's. I wanted it to be a throw that I could bring out at Christmas time, and I think it turned out the perfect size.

I really love the frayed look of rag quilts. This attribute also makes them more forgiving; your seams don't need to be perfect.


I was surprised that all in all, I put only about 4 days of half-time work into this quilt. Here are the steps, in a nutshell:

Step 1: purchase fabric (do not pre-wash) and, using a rotary cutter and self-healing board (the right tools are essential,) cut into squares.

Step 2: assemble squares in sandwiches and pin together.

Step 3: pin squares together in rows, then join with a 1" seam allowance.

Step 4: pin rows together, join with a 1" seam allowance.

Step 5: Sew 1" border around all edges of quilt.

Step 6: Using spring loaded scissors, cut 1/4"-1/2" slits in seam allowances around every square and around border (taking caution not to clip your seams, as this would cause it to unravel!)

Step 7: run quilt through washer and dryer for frayed effect, then de-fuzz. Your quilt is complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment