Friday, March 19, 2010

And the Beat Goes On...

Well, as is usually the case when a baby enters the family during our school year, the beat goes on. I fear that taking too much of a break will set the kids back in their progress and throw them out of the loop. I have worked too hard on getting them into a routine to let them fall off the bandwagon now. They were on more of an independent study the week following Rachel's birth, but now I am trying to ease back into some instructional time with them. The benefits of homeschooling are so rewarding that I don't want to leave them on their own for too long- I miss them.

Here is our youngest student in training:

This is what becomes of our dining room table in the mornings: a slew of breakfast dishes, cereal bowls, sticky, syrupy plates, school books, pencils, scissors, and papers.

Ashlee is working on memorizing all 50 states and capitals this year, and often times she'll include Jake in her drills. It's working, because he has quite a few memorized himself.

Our calendar and weather chart has been another one of our favorite visual aids this year. The kids are pretty good about keeping it updated themselves.

As for me, I love being able to bring my baby into the classroom. I'm sure she's learning through osmosis.

3 comments:

  1. You are doing a great job and looking great all at the same time! I like your calendar/map/learning wall:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Learning through osmosis...that's so cute! All your kids are so bright! They will all be academically successful because they have such a dedicated teacher! Where did you get that calendar/weather chart? I have been looking for one for a while and that is exactly what I had in mind but couldn't find it online! I would love to get one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nikki,

    The calendar and weather pocket chart is from Rainbow Resource (rainbowresource.com, or just click the link for "homeschool curriculum" in the right column of my blog.) It's where all of our curriculum comes from, and I highly recommend them.

    ReplyDelete