Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Summer Foods

I realize I have cut way back on the blogging, which is a good thing because I'd rather live my life than blog it... BUT, I thought I'd take a moment to check in.

We are very happy that the Farmer's Market is up and running, and made our first trip last Thursday. All I could think of as I was driving home munching on cherry tomatoes right out of the basket was, "Holy cow, this is how produce is supposed to taste." And, because I couldn't fathom such a thing as drenching my fresh salad in store-bought dressing, I came up with a homemade buttermilk ranch that is oh-so-delicious... nothin' but a little mayo, some buttermilk, and fresh herbs and spices. Here, I'll share:

Homemade Buttermilk Ranch
1/2 c. real mayonnaise
1 clove minced fresh garlic
1/4 c. finely chopped fresh parsley
1-2 Tbs. chopped fresh chives
Buttermilk (enough to thin to desired consistency)
dash of paprika
salt and pepper to taste
The other thing we love about summer is... Homemade ice-cream! Our first batch was butter pecan.
Toasting pecans in butter gives off a wonderful aroma.
The kids love to help with this.
A drizzle of chocolate syrup makes it just right.
Next up, chocolate. This is a classic and is always my personal favorite.
And, in between eating ice-cream and hangin' out pool side, Ashlee and I are training for this:
It's a 5K run on September 18th.

I hope you all are enjoying your summer!!


2 comments:

  1. Mm...that dressing looks so yummy and creamy...you are such a good cook, Lisa! I love seeing all of your creations (and tasting them too! Thanks for the ice cream!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious looking ice cream, and Kaitlyn looks so adorable helping make it! Also, I think it is great you and Ashlee are training for another run. What a great mother and child activity:-))

    ReplyDelete