Sunday, December 13, 2009

Mmmmmm

This is the first year I've had success in making homemade English toffee, so I thought I'd share. I've already made this twice in one week (yes, it fits into my diet.) The recipe is a science, so make sure you follow it exactly. Every step is critical in the success of your finished toffee.


English Toffee

3/4 c. butter
1 1/4 c. white sugar
2 Tbs. water
2 Tbs. light corn syrup
1 c. semi or bittersweet chocolate chips (I like Ghirardelli's 60% cocoa chips)
1/2 c. chopped almonds (this is optional)

1) melt butter over medium heat in heavy saucepan.
2) add sugar, water, and corn syrup and stir just until blended.
3) bring to a boil without stirring the pot at all!
4) allow to boil, undisturbed, until mixture reaches a deep caramel color, about 10-12 minutes.
5) immediately pour into a well-greased (I used oil spray) 10" x 15" x 1" glass pan. Sprinkle chocolate chips over top. Allow to sit for about 1 min.
6) using spatula, spread melted chocolate over all. Sprinkle with chopped nuts.
7) allow to cool completely (I stick it in the fridge to speed the process.) When set, break into pieces.

Homemade English toffee can be layered in a jar and tied with ribbon for a festive Christmas gift.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to my LOVE of candy making. Mine started with toffee also. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete