Thursday, December 31, 2009

Persimmon Brownies

Persimmons are one of my favorite winter fruits. I have been receiving them in my produce box over the past several weeks and have been thoroughly enjoying them. Today I received two very ripe Hayachia persimmons in my box that were almost past the point of eating, so I decided to try them in this recipe:





Persimmon Brownies

2 very ripe persimmons
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. oil or melted butter
1 egg
1 3/4 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon/nutmeg/cloves
1 c. raisins
1 c. chocolate chips

1) combine mashed persimmons (skins on) and wet ingredients.
2) gently stir in dry ingredients without over mixing.
3) fold in raisins and chocolate chips (may be substituted with chopped nuts.)
4) pour into greased 9x13 pan and bake in 350 oven for 25 minutes.

The verdict: These were quite good. Not as sweet as a traditional brownie, but a nice change (and you don't have to feel guilty eating one- they're actually good for you.)

Now excuse me while I go enjoy one with a cup of nettle leaf tea (compliments of the produce box as well.)

Happy healthy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment