Thursday, September 1, 2011

3 and 3

Well Anthony is 3 months old and it's our 3rd week of homeschooling. Time for a report.

We put together Ashlee's 3-D jello-o cell model earlier in the week, and here she is showing it off. We spent about a week studying the different parts of the cell (nucleus, mitochondria, ribosomes, etc.) then constructed a model using jell-o, fruit, and various candies to represent all of the organelles. I had her explain each one to me along with its function before she ate it. This was a fun project.
Noah and Kaitlyn have learned their entire alphabet, including letter recognition and sound. I had them work on three letters a day, and by the end of the second week we had the pantry door covered in the alphabet. Now they are ready for reading.
Today we were in the Sacramento area and I took the kids to McKinley park. My, what a beautiful place this was! We could've stayed all day. There was a pond with ducks, geese, turtles, and pigeons, a public pool, a nice wooden castle-like play structure, and a public library. There was also a beautiful rose garden, which we did not have time to visit.


Anthony is doing so well and turning into quite the chunk. He is starting to sleep 4-6 hours at night, which is nice. It's funny but for the first time I am not feeling the rush to get him to sleep through the night. I know it will happen, and with him being my last baby I just want to savor it! This has been the first time I haven't had another baby to anticipate, so rather than looking ahead to the next stage I find myself wishing I could slow things down. It's a strange place to be in, but it brings me contentment nonetheless. I feel good about closing this chapter in my life and look to the next with much anticipation. I feel so blessed every day to be home with my children and to have the opportunity to homeschool them.

I'll leave you with a couple of funnies from Noah:

The other morning we were sitting down at the table doing a language arts lesson together out of one of our new books, and I was struggling to find the shape cards. He sat patiently as I thumbed through the workbook, searching for the page with the cut-outs.

Me: "Just a minute Noah, Mommy can't find the shape cards."

Noah (hesitantly): "You're not a very good teacher because you can't find the cards. A teacher should know where the cards are."

Me (getting a little flustered): "Hmmm, where are the shape cards?"

Noah then sticks his head under the table and begins chanting in a taunting voice but with a smile on his face: "You're a bad teacher, you're a bad teacher."

Then today as we were driving, the boys were in the back seat talking about different languages. Jacob was saying how there was English, Spanish, French, etc. Noah asked me what language we spoke. I told him English. He responded, "Oh, I thought we just talked regular." I guess every child thinks their language is "regular." =)


No comments:

Post a Comment