Sunday, September 4, 2011

Postpartum or Something Like It

So I hem-hawed around for the title of this post. Several thoughts ran through my mind, like "Not the Martyr Mom," "Taking a Real Sabbath," (to explain my absence from church today,) or "Dropping the Ball" (because I want to give up.) However, after much deliberation I have decided that what I am experiencing in terms of mental, spiritual, and emotional turmoil can be wrapped neatly into the package of postpartum something-rather, so that is what I am calling it.

On a happier note, Naomi lent us the use of her co-sleeper. I am anxious to see how it will work out. Ironically enough I spent the better part of yesterday setting it up, then didn't use it! Anthony slept right at my side last night, where he always is, nursing himself into oblivion. I'll be interested to see if he sleeps better or is more restless in the co-sleeper. Being that we do not have a crib for him, we don't really have any other options. I told Anthony that out of six kids he's lucky to get the spot next to Mama's bed. Thank you Naomi!
I was thinking I should get a mobile to attach to the side. He sure was content in there today while I folded laundry, and it would be nice for him to have something to look at.
I ended the day with an evening walk. This was Anthony's first time in the jogger stroller. I debated jogging, but thought I'd save that for when I can go alone. He started out happy...
... then fussed a little bit mid-walk. I knew if I kept walking he'd fall asleep, which he did.
I decided to stay home today and take a "true" Sabbath while Forrest took all of the kids (except Anthony) to church. Let's be honest, there is nothing restful about Sundays for a mother of six, and if my husband is going to be gone six days a week from sun up until sun down I am going to take a break when I can get it. Something has to give. I know this time is fleeting, and my struggles are but for a moment, but I still have to get through my day-to-day. So far I'm not doing so well. I feel worse off now than when I first had Anthony, and the thought occurred to me today that technically I am not even postpartum anymore- he's three months old! I feel like I am experiencing a backlash effect that began when Forrest took on crazy work hours and we started homeschooling.

In talking to friends, I have received advice across the board- keep running, stop running, put the kids back in school, focus on homeschool, clean the house, let the house go... it's all relative. I feel like every day I try something different, and nothing ever works for too long. It's kind of like the first trimester of pregnancy when one food will taste good for a while until you can't stomach it anymore and you have to switch things up. Or perhaps I should compare this time to transition in labor- when you think you can't take anymore and you want to quit and get off the bed? If I were a runner, I would be sprinting and burning out. I need to find my marathon pace, something I can maintain for a while.

Well-meaning people (my husband included) have suggested I just "let things go" and focus on the kids. But to be honest, I'm just not happy like that; less stressed maybe for a time, but not happy. I have to maintain certain things- exercise, a clean house, alone time- or we all suffer. After all, ain't Mama happy, ain't nobody happy!

After a failed attempt at an over-zealous list of to-dos yesterday with six kids in tow that ended in me throwing a block of cheese across the living room (embarrassing, but true) and running away to my mom's house to vent and take a nap, I've decided that something has to change. I can't keep hiding in corners of my house to cry. I love my kids, I asked for all of them, but don't ever let anyone tell you they are not a mound of work. I hope I never portray that facade.

I am grateful, but I am exhausted.

Here's to change.

4 comments:

  1. Lisa, you are amazing. I love this true, honest post. I would like to say ive been there, but I haven't. But I have thrown things :) and have said the words - I'm done!! But i get the house thing. There is no sweet rest when the house is a mess. Reading that book or watching that movie is no great treat when you know you have to get up and clean. It is soooo nice to take a break and sit and take in the clean home. Peace for a moment. I'm glad you stayed home. You need to take care of yourself. I hope you find some balance soon. I'm loving your little mans rollie thighs. You should use those as those squeezie stress release balls :) you are going to make it - one day at a time. Love you tons and missing your sweet spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One day at a time. I consider myself postpartum for at least a year after the baby is born. Once I start having periods again, then I start to feel "normal" again. What ever that means. You're a great wife and mother. You'll know what is best for you and your family. Keep on going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, I can truly say I cannot imagine what you are going through. I wish I was there to help, if only to listen while you vent. Children are not easy, be 1 or 6. You are dealing with 6 little people with developing personalities. Once you think you have a handle on them, they change on you. My road is different than yours, but still challenging. Sarah starts junior high, Eric is a junior, and Sean is working and planning on leaving in the winter for college. Dad works full time, plus side work, and I am starting a new job at the hospital in a couple of weeks (nervous!). Does anything get done like I want it too?? Not at all! All of my projects for the summer are still sitting right there - the "to do" list gets rewritten and thrown away - have I thrown a block of cheese? - no - but I stomp around alot!!

    I definitely cannot advise you on this, but give yourself a huge hug and know that you are a great mother and wife. That's why you are upset and concerned - because you care so much!! Take one day at a time, breath deep many times a day, and know that you will make it through these tough times. These little people of yours will turn into truly amazing big people that will delight you with their insights and conversations - I enjoy mine!!
    My hug and kiss are with you - Love Candy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH, Lisa. You are amazing. And I'm glad you're human....you're doing an awesome job and this will be but a small moment. Its just when its the moment you are in, it is all so encompassing....just like transition or the first trimester. Its hard to think of anything else when its so intense that it requires all your focus to begin with. That was a great analogy and well written. You'll find your groove........

    ReplyDelete