Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Geese

Does anyone know how to scare off an aggressive goose? There's this one at Cameron Park Lake that hisses and runs at me every time I go jogging. I think it's the same one that flew at my head last year as he was herding his little gosslings across the trail. Did you know they are very aggressive when they have their babies? They also have great memories- they pair up with the same mate year after year. I think he might remember me. Anyways, it's a little scary to have a 6-foot wing span flapping at the back of your head, and I don't want it happening again! (It's getting close to the time for them to have their babies, you know.) My 10K is in 5 weeks, and I have to train, but that goose is enough of a deterrent for me that I almost want to turn around and come home.

6 comments:

  1. So...you have a stalker, huh? Hang in there...not sure what to do. I just tell our kids to stay back when they are nesting because they always hiss at them when we go for a walk. And Cameron Park wants us to pay for this abuse? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think geese are like dogs and bees- they can smell fear. But yes, I would advise anyone with kids NOT to go near them when they are with their babies, as tempting as it is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should reverse rolls, and let the goose see how it feels to be minding one's own business and suddenly be attacked and intimidated! Run right at it, hissing and flapping your arms, and maybe rolling your neck around a little too:-)
    Oh, and let me know how it works out;-)
    And, if they haul you in to the looney bin, you can always say that your sister told you to do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I was going to suggest what Roxanne suggested! Good thinking. You might also try flying at it's head..just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys are toooo funny. I did try clapping at it once, and that only made him run at me faster!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It probably thought you were snapping your "beak" in preparation to eat it eggs or something! Oh, and this has been bothering me, when I told you to reverse "rolls", I meant reverse "roles." I need to slow down when I type, I think. I'm sure your "rolls" are great, probably the whole wheat type:-) Good with soup. And lots of butter.

    ReplyDelete