Wednesday, June 10, 2009

What Lies Ahead

Every year we are allotted a budget for Ashlee's school curriculum. I then get to go online to the Rainbow Resource catalog and choose from thousands of texts and educational tools. In an effort to be prepared for the next year and have a relaxing summer vacation, tonight was the night I went shopping! (This list has been several weeks in the making.) This is in addition to what we already have on the shelves from last year and will be continuing next year. I told Forrest he had better start building another book shelf...

Ashlee and Jacob's Curriculum:

3-D U.S.A. Map

3-D U.S.A. Map
Item #: 024700

Write What You Think

Write What You Think
Item #: 012331

3-D World Map

3-D World Map
Item #: 024701

Colonial Days

Colonial Days
Item #: 003620

Paragraphs and Compositions

Paragraphs and Composition


Math 1 Home Study Kit

Math 1 Home Study Kit
Item #: 018399

Phonics Drillcards

Phonics Drillcards
Item #: 002902


Chemistry

Chemistry
Item #: 011599


How to Spell 1

How to Spell 1
Item #: 002891


Matter

Matter
Item #: 011603


Explode the Code Book 3

Explode the Code Book 3
Item #: 017038

Explode the Code Book 3½

Explode the Code Book 3½
Item #: 001783


How to Teach Spelling

How to Teach Spelling
Item #: 002898

Mysteries and Marvels of Nature Combined Volume

Mysteries and Marvels of Nature Combined Volume
Item #: 011885


I looooove Rainbow Resource. Most, if not all, of their curriculum is designed for homeschoolers, which makes it very user-friendly. You can find everything you would ever want to teach your children. I have included a link to their website in the sidebar under "places I go." Even if you're not in to homeschooling, I guarantee you'll find something for your kiddos.

We are really going to be focusing on American History and Geography for Ashlee this year, and I am so excited. I didn't really absorb a lot of the history I was taught in school, so I am looking forward to re-learning it with Ashlee in a way that will appeal to both of us.

As far as math goes, Saxon has been my favorite program hands down. They are #1 among homeschoolers, and we have had great success with them. Another great program is the Easy Grammar. Like me, Ashlee has an eye for spelling and grammar, and she has really taken to this workbook. Love it!

Towards the end of summer, I will sit down and devise a schedule for our school day. I also like to set short and long-term goals, and plan out quarterly field trips. Like with anything else in life, it's always good to have a routine in place when you are starting something new. You can always branch out from there once you are established and comfortable. I find that I am enjoying homeschooling more and more with each passing year. It's less of an imposition and more of a way of life. I used to ask, "How am I going to find time in the day to homeschool?" Now I find myself thinking, "What would I do in a day if I didn't homeschool?" Funny how we adapt to our circumstances.


3 comments:

  1. Seems like that would be fun getting to pick out all those books, and it sounds like you are going to have an infomative year for you both-learning never gets old and is something you can never have too much of, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like so much fun! I can not wait to start with Myla.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for all of this information! I know Eli's not even 3 but i'm already feeling the pressure to get started on a more structured schooling plan (it's that whole teacher over achiever thing). I had no idea what was out there for homeschoolers but this is a great place to go to! I can't wait to see what they have. A lot of my stuff from teaching is outdated at this point. I love your focus on History this year (my major in college). History is wonderful because it's basically stories that affect your social-cultural lifestyle and as you take a personal interest in the stories (and can relate to how they affect you personally and the modern world around you) the dates just sort of stick in your head. The old fashioned high school history of memorizing dates and places is the complete opposite of how history should truly be taught! I think you and Ashley are going to love it! Yay fun.

    ReplyDelete