Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Can't Sleep

As of recently it has been brought to my attention that there are some members of the church who post, well, let's just say sub-standard content on their blogs. I am not referring to any one in particular, as I have come across a few. This content includes, but is not limited to cursing, taunting, mockery, and bawdy language. To those of you who are oblivious to this, consider yourselves fortunate. To those of you who have come across the same content (and some of the same blogs) you know exactly what I am talking about. I have tried to dismiss this for a while, but it keeps appearing. While this may not deserve the attention I am giving it, it bothers me nonetheless and I am trying to find a way for it not to. Furthermore, some people (myself included) have posted comments on such blogs in an attempt to refute what is being said, only to be accused of piety or self-righteousness, or to have others turn a blind eye in defense that what is being said is not offensive, when in fact it is. So my question is this: What gives? I was always taught that the mockers and scorners in the large and spacious building were of the world, not from within the church. We are supposed to be united, but seeing such moral degredation gives me a sense of division. The spirit of the Latter Day Saint people is what attracted me to the church in the first place, and my commitment was solidified when I received a testimony. Now I find myself struggling to understand why anyone who has the gift of the gospel in their lives would want to follow the ways of the world. The last thing I want to be accused of is being judgemental, it's just that some of this stuff is so blatantly WRONG! (yes, even after my nine years of college I still managed to come out a black-and-white person.) Couldn't we try a little harder to follow the standards outlined by prophets and church leaders? Any thoughts on this?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Lisa! I must say I agree with you - it is interesting to see the anonymity of the internet play as somewhat of a cover in the things all of us say and do. Maybe some things we normally would not say/do in face to face conversations have become commonplace with the buffer of the internet.

    ReplyDelete