Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Home Visit

Today was my 37 1/2 week home visit. This gives the midwives the opportunity to check the birth supplies and finalize any last details. Being that this is my second birth in this home, they are already pretty familiar with things, but it's always good to re-familiarize. They also brought along their apprentice, Randi, who will hopefully be attending my birth. Randi is a student midwife and has completed about half of her schooling. There is kind of an unstated possibility that she may be the one to apprentice me when my time comes. She aims to attend about one birth a month as part of her hands-on training. She has 5 children and has experienced 2 homebirths herself, and I feel like we have a lot in common. I've always had a deep admiration and respect for my midwives, and Randi brings her own unique dynamics that enhance the practice even more.

I feel rather calm this week (or maybe that's just in comparison to my relatively chaotic last week) which I am enjoying. There is a peace that seems to have settled about and all around me. I don't feel close to giving birth, but I know it is on the horizon. As of now the house is clean, and that is always a good feeling. I figure I have to maintain it for at least the next two weeks. I love my Mother's Tea and have been making big pots of it and keeping it in the fridge for iced tea. The red raspberry leaf in it is really good for toning the uterus in preparation for labor.

I have talked with all of the kids and given them the lowdown on what the birth will be like (although some of them are well-seasoned by now.) Marlene made the suggestion that on the night I think I might birth, I have Ashlee and Kaitlyn sleep out in the living room so as not to wake up Rachel when the time comes. I thought that was a genius idea and will probably take her advice. Although I know that with birth supplies being carried in and preparations being made, Ashlee will do anything but sleep. She's my excited one.

Believe it or not, I am not depressed at all about this being my last pregnancy and birth. I am looking forward to the next chapter, which tells me my family is complete. There is so much to look forward to in every season in life, and I am so thankful to be surrounded by so many wonderful women in my family, community, and at church who exemplify the beauty and potential of each stage.

Can't wait to meet you little Anthony.

5 comments:

  1. Anticipation is the most exciting emotion, no matter what the age or occasion. Your anticipation for Anthony's arrival is the sweetest anyone could wish for. Enjoy!!! Allow yourself a fleeting moment of sadness that this chapter of your life is coming to a close, but look forward to many more chapters ahead. I look at all of my children, from 11 to 32, and marvel and appreciate where they are in life and know that I have shared in their journey so far. You will find that as they get older, it is very rewarding to relate to your child as a person who you can share thoughts, opinions and dreams with. Life, from infancy on, is an incredible process that is best when shared with your loved ones. Thank you Lisa for letting me share with you!!
    Love, Candy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember at the park after David and Rachel were born and you asked about how I "knew"? I think you put it perfectly when you said you are ready for the next stage of life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Candy. (I'd be lying if I said I didn't have any sad quiet moments.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so amazing Miss Lisa! Quite the special woman dare I say... I look forward to your birth and thank you for letting me participate :) It's been fun watching Anthony's story unfold thus far, and the future looks so bright! All things work out good...all. things. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete