Saturday, May 14, 2011

Insalata Caprese

After the race this morning we made our way down to the Farmer's Market for our usual Saturday morning reaping. Among the goods we picked up were fresh ripe tomatoes and some deliciously scented aromatic basil. I happened to have 2 rounds of fresh mozzarella in the fridge, so for a late lunch we sat down to a plate of Insalata Caprese (that's Italian, and I hope I am spelling it right.) Although we have paid an arm and a leg for this simple dish in Italian restaurants, this was my first time making it at home and it far surpassed any I have had before. The fresh produce, alongside the higher quality cheese, made all the difference. It was satisfying without being overly filling.

4 comments:

  1. I made this a couple different days last week-it was so delicious! I drizzled balsamic vinegar over mine:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmmmmmmm, that looks really yummy! We didn't get to the market till about 11 and there were NO TOMATOES anywhere. They must have sold out..... you lucky duck. I had to buy an heirloom at Belair for $4....for ONE TOMATO, albeit huge! Not sure how it will taste yet. Did you get the fresh mozzarella at the f market too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The mozzarella was from Costco. The market does have a cheese stand, but they do not make mozzarella.

    ReplyDelete