Saturday, May 14, 2011

Strawberry Ice-Cream

We are jumping the gun on summer and making our fair share of homemade ice-cream around these parts lately. The other night we opted for strawberry. Although I prefer the roadside strawberries juicy and sun-ripened in the middle of summer, I decided to try the recipe with frozen strawberries, which were all I had on hand. We were not disappointed.
I am really loving my new Cuisinart ice-cream maker I picked up at Costco for $30. I keep the bucket in the freezer so that it is ready on a moment's notice, and it can whip up a batch of ice-cream in 20 minutes. Sure beats sending Forrest to the store for Haagen Dazs!

After searching around on the Internet and not finding any recipes that really stood out to me, I decided to devise my own. I used the custard base from my favorite chocolate ice-cream recipe, then substituted a good amount of cooked-down strawberries in place of the cocoa. Here is my recipe:

Boil together 1 c. milk, 3/4 c. sugar.

Add 3 beaten egg yolks (temper by removing milk mixture from heat.)

Cook and stir 2 minutes more, but do not boil.

Remove and let cool to room temp.

Add 1 tsp. vanilla and 2 c. heavy whipping cream.

Gently stir in 1 to 1 1/2 c. mashed strawberries (I heated mine on the stove with a little more sugar.)

Refrigerate until ready to churn.

No comments:

Post a Comment