Thursday, May 14, 2009

10K Progress

Tonight was my final practice run before the big Race Day this Saturday.
Distance: 6 miles (5 laps around Cameron Park Lake)
Time: 1:02:00

My goal is to come in under 60 minutes, so I'll be counting on that adrenaline rush to kick in on the big day. My training has consisted of 2-4 runs per week, averaging 3-4 miles per run. Tonight was only the second time I've done the whole 6 miles... just to prove I'm not going to keel over or anything like that. As I was running tonight, I was thinking how running is a lot like labor in the sense that you are challenged physically and emotionally. Endurance plays a big factor in both. On that note, I always say that you haven't experienced labor until you dilate those last 2-3 cm.- the phase of labor we so fondly refer to as transition. I always snicker inside when a woman tells me, "Well, I think I could probably do a natural labor because last time I got up to (6 or 7) centimeters before my epidural, and I was managing fine." Hmmmm, is that so? For me, transition is the "do or die" moment. It's when your body kicks into fight or flight mode, and you literally want to flee from the intense (yes, pain!) your body is experiencing. You haven't really experienced labor in all its glory (um, fury?) until you hit transition. So it was with me and my running tonight. The laps have a synergistic effect. In my previous training, I've been able to maintain a steady 10 min. mile pace for 3-4 miles, so I figured I could easily do another 2 at the same pace and call it good. Hmph, me and my assumptions! That last mile was my transition, and I realized I had not trained my body as well as I thought I had.

On a lighter note, I am now dodging birds, not geese. I had one peck at my head tonight on lap 4! Can you believe it? I must have been running by his nest, because on lap 3 I heard him flapping at the back of my head rather closely. I was a little intimidated to pass the same spot next time around, but I told myself, "Be brave, he's not even going to touch you." No sooner had I thought this than the little devil was IN my hair PECKING at my head! It would only happen to me. Ta-ta for now, and I'll report back after Saturday's race!

5 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH! You must have some special avian attraction or something! The bird thing is too funny. So, here I am thinking, gosh, if running the last mile is like transition for you then I feel really really bad for you because have you ever been in transition in 102 degree weather? Apparently we're supposed to his the 100's this weekend! Where is your race? I bet you'll do awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The adrenaline will kick in, and my friend Amy was saying that you really feed off of the other runners, too. She hadn't run her entire distance ever prior to race day either, and she did just fine-you will too! Go Lisa, and never mind the birds...those are just love pecks:-) Pecks of encouragement...they are just trying to keep you on your toes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the words of encouragement! (I'd rather take it from you than the bird, Roxanne.) The run takes place on the nature trails in Folsom beginning at 8:25a.m. It should be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds soo fun and exciting. You will do great!! I would love to run around beautiful folsom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck! Roxanne is right...the other runners will keep you going! Can't wait to hear how you do!....

    I doubt many people have EVER had a bird peck at their head. You are so lucky...hee hee

    ReplyDelete