Sunday, May 24, 2009

Strawberry Fest

We picked up a half flat of strawberries from the stand on the side of the road on Friday, and we had to make good use of them, so we had a strawberry fest!


We got the idea for homemade strawberry-yogurt popsicles from my friend Katie's blog. I don't know what tempted me more- the popsicle or her daughter eating one! (so cute.) These were yummy. Thanks for the idea, Katie.

Noah went straight for the freezer Saturday morning. The kids had them for breakfast. We made 3 batches in all.

Aren't they pretty and swirly?







Well-liked by all.

After the popsicles, we pulled out the old-fashioned ice-cream maker that Forrest bought me last summer. We prefer the traditional method with the wooden bucket, ice, and rock salt.

Step 1: mash strawberries and sugar.

Step 2: cook milk, sugar, eggs, and vanilla until slightly thickened.

Step 3: add the cream.

Step 4: mix in strawberries.

We chilled it in the fridge for a few hours, and it was ready to go in the machine when we came home from the river yesterday. We all had big bowls of it. Yummy!

And there are strawberries to spare...

4 comments:

  1. Muy delicioso! These pics. are making me hungry!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a yummy breakfast aren't they? Glad you guys liked them. I wasn't sure how often we would use the mold, but find myself not being able to have a popsicle more often that I want (because new ones aren't ready yet) so I'm going to have to get a few more. =) Glad you liked them!

    The ice cream looks delicious......but I suppose you can add HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM to anything and have it taste good right? mmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like fun. We love our wood ice cream maker. I grew up on it and have passed it onto my family. A fun thing is we always do it on birthdays. The persons birthday gets to choose what kind they want, such a great memory

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Lisa, that looks so good! Amy just suggested the other day that we buy a real traditional ice cream maker. I was thinking no, but now I'm thinking yes! Thanks for helping me make my decision.

    ReplyDelete