Monday, May 3, 2010

Beware the Lizard

So we're eating dinner tonight when we look up and notice that our cat, Alex, has found something in the backyard and is playing with it in the grass. He has been catching many baby animals lately, which my kids have been successful at rescuing and returning to their homes, so out of concern Noah ran outside to see what it was that he had found this time. As I watch from a distance, Noah bends down to retrieve the creature, then shoots back up, yelling in horror, with this guy firmly attached to his hand:
He shakes him free as I run out back to see what in the world just attacked my son. As I approach the edge of the grass, this lizard comes CHARGING at me! No joke, he literally runs towards my feet, full throttle, mouth wide open. I jump back then look over at Noah and see that his hand has a cut on it and is bleeding. All the kids surround the grass, wondering what this guy's next move will be. Meanwhile, he stands his ground. I tell the kids to bring the cat in the house. As Ashlee advances towards him, he opens his mouth and bares his teeth as if he were hissing at her. By this point it's getting pretty entertaining, and frankly I'm quite peeved at the little guy for making such a scene, so I say, "Shoot, let the cat back out." Alex comes running out the back door and cautiously approaches him, then, to all of our surprise, the lizard JUMPS onto the cat's back and BITES him in the back of the neck! You've never seen a lizard like this. The excitement continued for about another ten minutes before I told the kids to back off and let the little guy go back to where he came from. All the while, this guy never let his guard down. I think Noah will think twice before ever "rescuing" another lizard again!

5 comments:

  1. Holy cow! Goes to show that size doesn't matter. Kudos to the brave little lizard, but poor Noah! I wish I could have seen you all with the lizard. I like how you let Alex back out to get him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow-that's crazy! Usually they freeze or run away. What a fighter. I'll have to share this one with the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brittany, I almost came over and knocked on your door.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats crazy! My first thought was let the cat back out too! ..... lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOH- those alligator lizards I think they are called. We had a ton in our woodpile and they scared me to death! For a while I had to make go out to get the wood! I hate those things! One thing I will NOT miss by moving to Utah! (But I'll miss you all!)

    ReplyDelete