Saturday, May 15, 2010

Slow and Steady FINISHES the Race

Distance: 3.1 miles (5k)
My time: 34:27

My mindset for this race was slow and steady. I had two goals: to run the entire time, and to come in with the top 50% of runners, and I did both! Hooray for nice weather and a shady trail. I was almost wishing I would've registered for the 10k with the conditions being as nice as they were.

It was fun running into familiar faces along the way; the guy from Trader Joe's, old schoolmates, and a couple of friends from church. What I love most about these runs is being surrounded by like-minded people who find the same joy in running as I do. The looks of joy and will-power on their faces, mixed with a little bit of suffering, are a telltale sign of their sheer determination to do their personal best. It's exhillarating for me to watch them cross the finish line. However, as I looked up to see the first 10k runner come in with a time of 36 minutes, I was left wondering, "Is that guy human??" I mean, who maintains that speed for 6 miles? He was truly a machine. The other surprise was the 9-year-old girl who finished the 10k in 59 minutes. (Holy shoot! I've been smoked by a 9-year-old.) Ashlee did the 1/2 mile youth run and came in with the top 20%.

My proud supporter. Thank you honey for being there to ever-so-patiently corral the kids. I couldn't do these runs without you.

5 comments:

  1. Good for you, Lisa! That's a great accomplishment and you should be proud of yourself:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job sticking with you goal right after having baby number 5! I bet it feels so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW Lisa. Good for you, especially being postpartum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome Lis!!!! I love that blubber ball prize.

    ReplyDelete