Saturday, May 25, 2013

First Doula Client

On Thursday I attended my first birth as a certifying doula. Last October I became a member of DONA International, the leading doula organization in the world, and I have two years to achieve certification.  I am working on this alongside my childbirth educator certification with IBWP.  It works well because many of the requirements overlap each other, along with some of the reading.  Having been a birth junkie for years many of the books are on my shelf already. :)

Anyhow, Alex is her name, and she came seeking me about a week ago after coming across my profile on a website.  We met once and I agreed to attend her birth.  She had a previous difficult delivery and birth experience with her now 8-year-old son and was seeking to do things differently this time around.  We had a good conversation and discovered that we were on the same page on many issues.  I felt we were a good match.

As it turned out circumstances necessitated she go in for an induction Wednesday night.  I provided continuous phone support to her the first half of Thursday, and landed in her hospital room about 6:00p.m. that evening.  She had received Pitocin but was determined to go it all natural.  I think my presence there gave her the reassurance she needed to stick to her birth plan and be an advocate for herself.

Alex managed her contractions beautifully and had a wonderful, relaxed, controlled rhythm established of breathing through them.  We walked, talked, ate, rested, and waited.  At about 10:00p.m. I felt the need to get her into the restroom.  Just as we did, waters ruptured spontaneously and baby was born 10 minutes later.  It couldn't have been more beautiful.

Congratulations to mama and baby. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment