Monday, January 4, 2010

32 Weeks


Today I had my last monthly prenatal visit. Now they will be spaced 2 weeks apart for the 34 and 36 week check-ups, then every week for 4 weeks until the delivery (although I never usually make that 40 week appointment, the midwives end up coming to me!) Today's visit was a little different- upon palpating my tummy, one of the midwives seemed to think that little Rachel might be sideways or breech. We felt feet on one side of my abdomen and what felt like a head on the other. Whereas you can feel the definite hardness of a bum or back at the top of the uterus on a head-down baby, all we could feel at the top of mine was void space, indicative of a breech or transverse baby. This was a little bit concerning, as by now they like to see baby in a good, head-down position. So she had her partner feel, and she wasn't too sure either. We spent about 30 minutes gently "coaxing" Rachel into a downward facing position, then they had me do some pelvic tilts. After all of this they pulled out the doppler to listen to the heartbeat, which they were able to find down low, meaning that she probably was not breech after all (at least not anymore.) I have to say that today's appointment has me a little concerned. I just finished reading the story of a woman who had a surprise breech delivery at home, and I don't want to be one of those. I've never had an issue with the positioning of any of my babies, so I guess it's something I've always taken for granted. I promised the midwives I'd do my pelvic tilts over the next two weeks and be aware of her position (i.e. where do I feel the hiccups- down low is a good sign,) and if there is any question at the next visit I'll probably be heading back in for another ultrasound. In the mean time, please send head-down baby vibes my way!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, that is concerning. I'll send "head down" vibes your way. If the baby is transverse or breech near to delivery, you better get your rear into a hospital to deliver, as the safety of little Rachel is most important over a home delivery-don't want my sister or her baby put in danger.
    Thanks for the tummy updates-you look so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel for you, Lisa - I really do! Paige was transverse until a few weeks before birth and Ben was breech until 2 weeks before birth. Both doctors scared me with threats of a c-section so my mom and I got online and tried every single suggestion around. I was even scheduled for an external version with Ben, where the doctor would try to manipulate the baby to turn (possibly setting of labor and/or an emergency c-section if the placenta seperated!). Luckily we went to the hopsital for the procedure and Ben had turned by that point. It sounds like little Rachel is in the right spot, but if you need any tips on what I did - let me know. Sending head down thoughts your way...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no Lisa! I was thinking about you today, I should have called! I do hope Rachel is down! Remember my friend who studied midwifery around the world, one of the things she learned with the Maori midwives in New Zealand was that they recommend women do the hula every day until baby is head down, I suppose it's the same concept as pelvic tilts... you might feel silly but it may be worth doing the hula (don't forget to get a video for the blog...JUST KIDDING). Keep us all updated. Love the tummy! So cute. Where are your stretch marks??!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, so it will be the hula AND pelvic tilts for the next two weeks. I really don't think she's breech, though, I think it was a bad call. I know for sure that her feet are up high on the right, and I have felt hiccups down low, SO not to worry. I trust that she'll have her bearings before the birth, just like the rest.

    ReplyDelete