Monday, January 4, 2010

Big 'Ol Pot of GOODNESS!

This was my lunch today:


I had a big bunch of organic kale from my produce box that needed to be used up, so I took the advice of Suzanne (the farm owner) and made a big pot of soup. My GOODNESS was it yummy! And the best part was the way my house smelled while it was simmering on the stove. Even Ashlee walked in the kitchen, took a big whiff, and said, "It smells soooo good in here."

There was no recipe, really, I just threw in what sounded good and healthy and needed to be used up. I started with about 6 cups of organic chicken broth, 1 can of stewed tomatoes, and the bunch of kale. Then I chopped up 3 potatoes, 3 carrots, and about 8 cloves of garlic. I remembered that I had half of a meatloaf sitting in the fridge, so I cubed it and threw it in the pot as well. I seasoned the soup with salt, lots of fresh ground black pepper, and a good dash of cayenne pepper. If you had some fresh herbs to add, I'm sure that would be good as well. I then let it simmer for about an hour, and the result was delish. Forrest would second that.

Who says you can't make something out of nothing! I think soup cooking is a lost art.

2 comments:

  1. it looks delicious! I can ALMOST smell it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think cooking by smell or what sounds good is a lost art also. I will have to try that one sometime soon! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete