Monday, January 25, 2010

Homeschool Matinee

After school work is completed (usually by 2:00,) the kids curl up with a big bowl of popcorn and a movie. This gives us all a much needed and well-deserved break, and I definitely appreciate the hour and a half to do whatever I want. This routine has proved effective in helping me to keep my sanity while homeschooling.Ashlee needs an average of 4 1/2 hours a day to complete her subjects, while Jacob needs only about 1-2. Some of the work time is instructional (such as math, writing, and science) while some is independent (such as grammar, handwriting, and phonics,) so the balance comes in knowing when to do what. I have to orchestrate my mornings so that I am getting ready, making beds, cooking breakfast, etc. while they do their independent work, and then be sure that I am available when they need me for their guided subjects. Thankfully Noah and Kaitlyn were born into our homeschooling family and are therefore relatively adapted to the schedule (and Mom's divided attention.) I have to say they do a good job for the most part of entertaining themselves during this time. When Rachel comes, I figure she'll spend a lot of time nursing at the dining room table, just like the other two did when they were babies (or she'll be in the wrap- can't say enough about the benefits of baby-wearing!) I will also have some preparation in place as far as lesson plans and work packets. The idea is to get them into a good enough routine now so that they will be able to continue on it while I am recovering from having the baby. This is part of the reason why we start the school year with a rigorous schedule. It definitely gets easier with each passing year.

No comments:

Post a Comment