Thursday, January 14, 2010

Wood Projects

Okay, so this post has been a long time in the making. Let me preface it by saying that when it comes to woodworking, Forrest has some taaaaaalent. Here is a random sampler of some of the projects he has come up with over the course of the past several months:


We were in need of a piece of wall art for our dining room, and after searching retail stores high and low with no avail, decided to make our own. So, Forrest went searching through our backyard instead, found just the right branch of manzanita, and turned it into this eccentric candle holder.
Here is a cutting board and banana holder made for yours truly.

Our homeschool bookshelf that he put together on a whim.


This is my favorite bookshelf, which is why we use it for our books. I love the glossy sheen.

This is also one of my favorite pieces of furniture- the kids' toy chest. He has all of their hand prints stamped on the top of it, giving it a personal touch. He built this while I was pregnant with Kaitlyn and it holds special memories for me.
This was one of his first pieces of furniture, built from scratch, and is a nice compliment to our living room.
This sign was just made this Christmas. He did the letters and scrolls by hand, and stayed up late painting it.
I think this is such a nice variation on the traditional "family" signs you see. Won't find another one like this around! It almost reminds me of an old 50's style diner sign.
After moving into our new house and having no closet space, there was no place to put the boys' shoes. This was his solution. I love the organized feel it gives to the room.
And this is his latest and perhaps most impressive creation; a hand-made chess set. He informed me this set is not for the kids to play on! He hand-carved, sanded, and finished each and every piece, stained the board, and crafted the trim... in two day's time.

Forrest was definitely pre-destined to work with wood. He has a natural talent and it is what he loves to do. Our dream is to one day own a home and fill it with homemade furniture, from our bed down to our kitchen table. One day...

5 comments:

  1. I'm impressed! Forrest is talented. Does he take orders? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, yes Ali, he does. If you can think of it, he can make it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, I'm JEALOUS already! How amazing to have someone with the ability to create personalized things to make life easier. Look out, Forrest, I'm going to be a-callin soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOly smokes!! He is so talented and I'm so glad he is using it. You are one lucky lady. And everything looks so good too.

    ReplyDelete