Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Beautiful

As I was loading the boys and their scooters into my car at the skate park today, I turned to meet the glances of about six 18-20 year old boys in the parking lot, mingling and conversing. I felt some of their stares, but brushed it off thinking, "What boy doesn't stare?" I continued about my business, trying to ignore them, all the while hearing the conversation escalating and somehow feeling I was the object of their interest. As I finagled the last scooter into the trunk and closed the glass, I heard these words:

"You're beautiful."

Not knowing who said it, I looked up to meet their gazes. They were not the scraggly group of teenagers typical of skate park frequenters I assumed them to be, but rather an attractive clan of strapping young men with friendly faces. I couldn't help but smile a little as I drove away.

Did I really just, at 30 years old, let a group of 18-year-olds stroke my ego? Yes I did. Wouldn't you?

4 comments:

  1. Yes you are!!! So glad those boys said something. Too many people keep their kind words and thoughts to themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Amy! I wish people would speak up more often when it comes to positive things!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 30 years old and 7.5 months pregnant still makes you beautiful :) I thought I saw you sitting on the grass playing with Rachel as I was driving down the highway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, that was us Nikki! We were lovin' the sunshine.

    ReplyDelete