Friday, April 29, 2011

Born at Home

Being pregnant and giving birth are like crossing a narrow bridge. People can accompany you to the bridge. They can greet you on the other side. But you walk that bridge alone.
~ African Proverb




There is something about this video that sets it apart from any of the other birth videos I have seen. I have such a sacred space in my heart for homebirth, and this captures the essence of it so well. Everything you see is pretty accurate as far as a homebirth goes- from the examining of the placenta before your very eyes to the weighing of the baby in the stork-like sling. One of the many (and I emphasize many) aspects I love about homebirth is that there is no separation or trauma for mama or baby. Everything is so natural and gentle. Observe the reaction from the mom in this video after baby has been placed on her chest and squeaks his first cry. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

5 comments:

  1. So beautiful. My heart will always belong to homebirth! I wish I had a video like that for each of my births.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweetest video ever!!! I need one more!!! Love home births, so excited for you Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I've heard many-a homebirth moms say they want another one just for the experience! That will be our heaven, right Amy?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a very sweet birth story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That brought so many emotions back to me. When her sweet little boy was laying on her chest and she was the only one touching him, my thought was how wonderful it is to have a baby without anyone messing with mommy or baby. Some of my favorite moments after having a baby are in the tub when we are all looking at the new member of our family. I also can't think of anything better than the first time you lay in bed with your new baby to sleep. Pure bliss. Wonderful memories. You get to do it one more time!

    ReplyDelete