Friday, April 15, 2011

Improvement

Per our two visits with the cardiologist this past week, Rachel's heart is continuing to show subtle but sure improvement. We took her in on Tuesday for an attempted EKG, which she fought tooth and nail. I have never seen her so upset in her one year of life, and it took a while for me to calm her down. I think the hardest part during that visit was her looking me in the eye with a "Why Mom?" look as the doctor and I took our last resort and tried to physically restrain her on the bed. Let me tell you, this is not easy to do, but as a mother I knew she was not being harmed and that the reading they were trying to get was for her own good, so I cooperated with them. She, on the other hand, was not having it, and it turned out to be a wasted appointment.

We returned yesterday for an echocardiogram (ultrasound of the heart) and this time I came prepared with a bottle, animal crackers, and her first-ever blowpop. I figured sugar was preferable to sedation, which was the next alternative. Thankfully she cooperated, the appointment lasted all of twenty minutes, and they were able to get a good reading. At this point there is no need for intervention, and we and her doctor are optimistic that there never will be. She is not restricted on physical activity. She will continue to be monitored for the duration of her childhood, but for the next six months we are afforded a breather period.

Looking back, I am so thankful for all the faith, prayers, and blessings that went into this process and have helped her little body to heal on its own.

5 comments:

  1. YAY Lisa! That is wonderful! I never thought of sugar being a good alternative to sedation but that is such a good way to look at it (in these circumstances);)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such great news! It must be scary for a little one to be faced with all of the leads they want to stick to her little body. It's a lot more fun to watch the ultrasound!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly. I told the nurse I didn't know why she was acting that way, and she said fear. You should've seen her ripping those wires off...

    My little fighter ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is great news! I have been wondering how you have been over there and what you've been up to?! You know, about the fear thing, Reagan had SO many dr./allergist/dermatologist appts. her first year of life, she was terrified of going in. She is just now FINALLY getting past it, and realizing that they aren't going to hurt her. It is scary for little ones!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what good news! Just shows she's a fighter. =)
    Keep it up Rachel.

    ReplyDelete