Friday, February 5, 2010

36 1/2 Weeks- Home Visit

With a homebirth, the midwives like to come out for a home visit sometime between 34 and 36 weeks. The purpose of the home visit is to ensure that all the birth supplies are in place, there is adequate room for the birthing tub, the shower head is compatible with the hose that will be used to fill the tub, and for the midwives to familiarize themselves with the home. (In addition, it always gives me peace of mind to know that they will be able to find my house!) Today was my home visit.

The essentials: a little bedside basket filled with everything (I think) I will want to have within arm's reach after the birth; lotion, chapstick, baby wash, nursing cream, garlic and cranberry capsules, a case and bottle of saline for my contacts, and most important, Extra Strength Tylenol for afterbirth pains. NEVER underestimate the power of afterbirth pains.

Supplies for the birth:
I came across this cute little door hanger on clearance at Babies R Us. I told the kids that when they see it on the "sleep" side, it means that Mom and Rachel are resting, and they are not to disturb. I am hoping this method will aid me in getting some much-needed rest after the birth.
Tiny little clothes, all washed and folded. These were all Kaitlyn's. I have not had to purchase one piece of clothing for this baby. Now I just need to find a more practical place for them other than the top of my dresser.
Noah and Kaitlyn get a listen with the stethoscope:
And so do I. There's nothing so reassuring as hearing your baby's heartbeat. It gives a feeling that all is well.
During the visit, I commented to Marlene about my noticeable lax of standards in housekeeping. What she came back at me with was, of course, strengthening and inspiring. That woman has influence beyond her own recognition, and I love her for it. She told me, "You do have energy, lots of energy. You've just never had to expend it in so many ways before. You are doing more now than you ever have, and you have the energy to do it. Your energy is just being used up." I like that perspective. I've said it once and I'll say it again, if there is one thing midwives do, it is empower women.

1 comment:

  1. So exciting, you are SO close to the big day! You are going to do great:-)

    ReplyDelete