Tuesday, February 9, 2010

I Want

So my preference in baby-wearing seems to evolve with each child. I didn't actually begin the practice of baby-wearing until my third child, Noah, was born. Up until that point, I had followed the mainstream approach of toting baby around via carseat or stroller (how impractical!) Once introduced to the benefits of baby-wearing, I fell in love.

My first product was the Baby Bjorn. Great product, can't say enough about it. I used it all the time with Noah and felt that it really aided the attachment process and put me (and him) more at ease during those first few months. He would sleep for hours in it and I was able to get so much done with the use of my two arms. However, my only complaint about the Baby Bjorn was that it seemed to dig into my trapezius muscles after wearing it for an extended period. Also, I never really liked the way baby's arms and legs were plastered out to the side.

Next came Kaitlyn, and the introduction of the wrap. I was lucky enough to receive a homemade wrap made from a beautiful stretchy material. What I love about the wrap is that it is much more comfortable to wear, and baby can snuggle up in it with arms and legs tucked inside. It feels more like wrapping your baby in a blanket. Also, the wrap can be modified to carry a toddler hipside (although I never quite mastered this approach.) Despite all the benefits, my only gripe about the wrap is that it is so much material. I always found it inconvenient to wrap and unwrap, especially out in public. I never quite figured out how to position the wrap outside without dragging it on the ground in the process. The wrap is nice if you're going to be wearing it around the house for an extended period of time, but it never really felt practical for outings.

So, my latest pursuit is the baby sling. I think the sling is the epitome of baby-wearing. It has the comfort of a wrap, and the convenience of the Bjorn. In addition, baby can nurse in it. It just seems like the most natural and comfortable position for baby, cradled in a reclined position against Mom's front side. The sling can also be used to carry a toddler on the hip.

So, if my desire is realized, you'll be seeing me wearing one of these during the next few months:

New Native Organic Cotton Baby Carrier in Natural Twill

3 comments:

  1. you can always make one, super easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eh, I'm partial to the New Native. I don't think I'd want to take my chances making one. I know it wouldn't turn out nearly as nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Moby Wraps but I do find them cumbersome. A great alternative that doesn't involve all that wrapping but still the same concept is the Baby K'tan. My friend swears by them but since I already have a Moby, I just use the Moby up until about 4 or 5 months.

    After that, I love my Okkatots carrier. The unique buckling system lets me move my baby facing in our out without having to take them out. Or lay them down without waking them. I just unsnap them from me. I love its....ingenious design.

    I too love the slings though...all three have a great place in my heart. =)

    ReplyDelete