Monday, September 20, 2010

Fresh Beet Recipe

Beets. I used to shun them- in a major way. I remember growing up that my mom and sister loved them and would always go for them at the salad bar when we went out to eat. I remember beets as being slimy, tart, and generally unappetizing. Perhaps it's because I was judging the processed, store-bought version. Now I've had them fresh (i.e. the way a beet should taste) and boy was I wrong in my judgment.
We've been frequenting the local Farmer's Market all summer long (only a few weeks left, boo-hoo) and while the $1.50 bunch of beets look tempting, I am never sure what to do with them so I usually pass them up. Well, let me share a recipe that will for sure be going in the recipe book (this was my lunch today):

Roasted Beets with Fresh Herbs and Goat Cheese

4-5 beets, trimmed but not peeled
1/4 c. minced shallot, chives, or green onion
2 Tbs. minced fresh parsley, basil, or any herb of your choice
2 Tbs. olive or canola oil
2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
small amount of goat cheese

*Wrap individual whole beets in foil and place on cookie sheet. Bake in 400 degree oven for 45 mins. to 1 hour.
*Once done, remove and cool until they can be handled. Unwrap foil and slip off skins. Cut into 1/4" slices.
*Whisk together shallot or onion, fresh herbs, oil and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
*Pour whisked dressing over sliced beets and top with crumbled goat cheese (you can also use feta.)



This is so delicious, and I can't get over the natural, beautiful deep magenta color of the beets. To think that something so beautiful grows in nature is astonishing! (Watch out though, the juice will stain your fingers... and other things, as Naomi pointed out.) Enjoy.

4 comments:

  1. Don't be alarmed if you pee pink later. Beets are fun that way! I might just try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, or you could mistake it for internal bleeding like I did. Sorry if this is TMI for some of you, just being honest. : ) I'm sure that bold color is carrying lots of nutrients to our bodies, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe sounds DELICIOUS! Now you are making me crave beets:-))) I love beets, as you mentioned, and I still pile them on at the salad bar!

    ReplyDelete