Saturday, September 18, 2010

New Life

We welcomed new life into our home this morning... very early this morning, 3:45 a.m. to be exact. I awoke to Jacob informing me that Lily had come into his bedroom and had "wet stuff" coming out of her. I knew it was time. Lily politely stood in my bedroom and meowed me out of bed. As soon as I arose, she crept into the closet and I followed. Fifteen minutes later, the first kitten arrived, orange and wet. I was amazed at how the little guy meowed the moment he landed on the carpet.
The second one came about five minutes later, and was black and still. She licked him awake, but it had me concerned. The next one was orange, followed by another black, and about this time I realized it was 6:00 a.m. and I needed to start getting ready for my run. Between the time I left her and the time I got everyone up, she had birthed three more, for a total of seven!
Lily did so good this time. She knew what was coming and handled it with grace. As for us, we now have a grip of kittens to enjoy for the next six weeks. I will definitely be finding homes for them much sooner this time around (which shouldn't be a problem- there seems to be a high demand for orange tabbies,) and bringing Lily in to get "fixed" (there's that funny word again) as soon as she is able. Good job Mama.

2 comments:

  1. Nothing like a good nights rest before a run! Those kittens are so sweet. Lucky with all those orange ones. We are excited to meet them and will try to help you find good homes for them.

    ReplyDelete