Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Write What You Think

As a part of her curriculum, Ashlee has daily writing prompts that she responds to out of a book. I have found that at the end of the day when I am correcting the kids' work, these are what I most look forward to. It is a treat to see what she comes up with, and to get inside her active little mind. Here is a sampling:

Prompt: Who is your best friend? Write a letter to your friend that explains why your friendship is so important.

"Dear Jolena,
Since we've been together for so long, our personalities are very similar. That makes it easier for us to get along. Our friendship is so important to me because I've known you longer than all of my brothers and sisters. I feel like you're part of the family sometimes. We are interested in the same things. We have been very close friends for almost eleven years now. Sometimes I feel like I haven't seen you for months when it's only been one month. I'm glad we're at least still best friends."

Prompt: Describe the very first memory that you have.

"The very first memory that I have is when I was two years old. I was an only child and my mom, dad, and I lived in an apartment in front of a field with many rocks and few trees. To me, it seemed to go on forever. One night, when I was wandering around the house, Mom came in from outside and whispered excitedly, "Ash, come out and look at the moon!" I walked tiredly outside. I looked across the field and found that the moon looked as big as our house. Mom took me and I sat on her knee. We sat there for a long time. That was the biggest, brightest moon I have ever or will ever see."

Prompt: Write a descriptive paragraph about someone or something. Use concrete and abstract nouns.

"Kaitlyn Ann Hart was born at home. When she was a baby, she had blond hair. Now, she has beautiful gold hair. She has always been filled with energy. She's two-and-a-half, and she sure can get real spunky. She has two brothers and two sisters. She has a lot of spirit for her age. She has olive skin and the prettiest big, brown eyes. Kaitlyn loves going to the park and going down slides. She loves small animals and has a heart full of kindness. She's always been very loving to all of her siblings. She is also a great dancer and singer. The only thing is, girls don't stay two forever!"

I love that she chose to write about her sister and best friend. As far as the moon memory goes, it is hers alone (I have no such recollection.) I am glad she has it though.

2 comments:

  1. What a great collection of thoughts to have from Ashlee! You appreciate them now and you know she will really appreciate having these one day, too:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! the one about her friend reminds me of the book, I like you.

    http://www.amazon.com/Like-You-Sandol-Stoddard-Warburg/dp/0395071763/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1284707525&sr=8-1


    Its a super cute book. If she has never read it (Its a childrens book) she would probably enjoy it. I gave it to Sean for our first Valentines Day. =)

    Great writings Ashlee!

    ReplyDelete