Thursday, April 29, 2010

Are You Living Your Dream?

For as long as I can remember growing up, I always had a dream that I would meet a certain kind of guy, marry him, have a couple of his kids, and stay with him for the rest of my life. Maybe that wish came from a book I read (perhaps many books,) or from having divorced parents, being raised by a single working mother, and longing to give my kids the kind of upbringing I never had but always wanted. (To quote one of my good friends, "Childhood is what you spend the rest of your life trying to live down.") Or maybe this is just the wish of every young girl, and I was no exception. Whatever the reason, I've always held onto that dream.

As I was walking out on the back patio tonight with Rachel on my shoulder, the other kids being tucked in bed, I looked up at the stars and realized (with the perspective that only comes from gazing into the universe,) 'I am living my dream.' That's not to imply that I've reached happily-ever-after, or that I do not succumb daily to the pressures of being a mother of young children and a homemaker, but in the grand scheme of things, this is it. The life I've always wanted, staring me in the face. It was an odd epiphany, but it gave me an overwhelming sense of gratitude nonetheless.

There have been a few modifications made along the way. For example, I never saw myself being a stay-at-home mommy. I thought I'd be a career mommy, but have since realized I needed to choose one over the other. In addition, I have a couple more kids than I ever saw myself with, but consider them to be added blessings. Namely, I don't think I ever knew it would be this much work.

My point being, I think I knew my path in life long before I even realized I was on it. Do you feel the same way? What were your goals and ambitions as a child, and are you reaching them? How many of you are living your dream?

5 comments:

  1. That is so sweet and so true. We are living a dream with all our blessings, and these are good times in life, for sure. I know I'm thankful, so thankful, for my children. They are the best thing in this world to me:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dream was to be a stay at home mommy to lots and lots of kids. So I do feel like I am living my dream and LOVING every minute of it. I still would like to have more kids. I don't know if I will be blessed with it in this lifetime but there is always eternity right.

    Its amazing when you see something you wanted your whole life coming true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In 7th Grade my reading teacher asked us to make the biggest dream we had for ourselves and put it in a bubble and watch it rise up into the sky. I dreamed I was playing in the NBA, shooting basketballs...a big star. I vividly remember that bubble.

    Funny how as you grow up, some of those dreams become just part of the path to finding your real desires...but not an actual dream anymore. I think I was 20 or 21 before I realized that children were exactly what I wanted and a MOM was what I was CRAVING to be. I always knew I would be a mom, but it wasn't until I was this age that I CRAVED it.

    My patriarchal blessing helped me see why I craved it, and a better peek at who I would be bringing into the world....the rest is history. Now I'm just trying to get those spirits here, so I can teach them, love them, and grow as a mother. Its truly the most rewarding DREAM I could have ever imagined for myself. =)

    Good Post Lisa......... =) You're a FANTASTIC Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been reminded many times in a peaceful or even crazy moment that my life is what I've always wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what an interesting post, in a very good enlightening way. I barely remember what my "dreams" were. As a young girl I had the typical girl "dreams"...famous actress, veterinarian, CIA agent, the usual. Then I was going to be a career woman with like one kid. Then...I just wanted to get married. After that, I just wanted a kid. After that....well, I guess that's it. I'm right there and here. I'm not craving anything right now (other than dark chocolate) so you know what...I AM living my dream too! Ha! How about that for an epiphany...thanks for making me see it!

    ReplyDelete