Monday, April 26, 2010

End of the Day

I am regretful that it usually isn't until the end of the day that I am able to slow down and count my blessings, for they are many. Every night I promise that I will slow down, tomorrow will be different, I will not put doing the dishes before spending time with my kids... then I wake up and seem to fall into the same trap. This is something I have been struggling with for ten years, and I don't know how to make life less busy. I know that this is probably the best time of my life, and I don't want to rush it away. I always say that the day I have a clean house is the day that my kids will be gone, and I certainly don't want to rush that. As I peer in on all five of my children sleeping in their beds (or in Rachel's case, my bed,) it hits me that they are the reason why I am here. They are why I do what I do every day. They are what keep me busy, and they are worth it. So tomorrow I will slow down. I will sit down and read a book with the kids after dinner instead of doing the dishes. I will sing the extra lullaby song to Kaitlyn at bedtime. I will sit and watch my boys play with their boats in the bathtub instead of leaving them alone to go fold laundry. And when Rachel cries, I will be the one to take her outside to swing in the hammock. And if it is that I am able to only accomplish one of these things, then I will feel satisfied at the end of the day.

I hope my child looks back on today
and remembers a Mum who had time to play
There will be years for cleaning and cooking
But children grow up when we are not looking
Cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow
'Cause babies grow fast, we learn to our sorrow
So settle down cobwebs, dust go to sleep
I'm cuddling my baby, and babies don't keep.
-author unknown

6 comments:

  1. You are a great Mommy and a true inspiration. I love trying to be better but do have those nights that you just want to cry because life feels as though it is pasting by in such a hurry. Dear Time, please SLOW down. Love, Amy and Lisa xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very worthy goal, Lisa. Thank you for inspiring me to do the same. Great words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I notice the same thing, Lisa. I noticed today, on my morning walk that on the days that I begin with a walking prayer and meditation time, my whole day is more likely to be filled with joy and love, God living largely in me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that quote at the bottom. I just happened to catch your first post and I think it said it all! It is a wonder that we get anything done at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're such an inspiration of what kind of mom I should be Lisa, that sweet quote at the end made me tear up! Time is flying by and we do need to slow down, thanks so much for reminding me today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute post Lisa...we all fall into this trap sometimes and its a nice reminder to SLOW DOWN and be present in our childrens' lives.

    A lady in my home ward embroidered this poem for my mom when I was born. See the full poem here:
    http://holyjoe.org/poetry/hamilton.htm

    ironically did you know its called "Song for a Fifth Child?" Very fitting for your family size.

    When Dominic was born (the 5th grandchild in my family) my mom had it re-framed for me and in a few days it will go up on the wall in Michael's room. Its such a great poem.....

    ReplyDelete