Thursday, April 8, 2010

First Workout

Yesterday was my first run on the treadmill. I was almost giddy lacing up my shoes. The timing was perfect: Rachel and Kaitlyn were sleeping, Ashlee was gone at piano lessons, and both of the boys were entertained. I was not going to waste this golden moment. Alongside pregnancy and childbirth, running is another one of my passions, and I always look forward to getting back to it after having a baby. Although I did do a little running during my pregnancy, it was not with the same vigor and energy I am able to enjoy postpartum. During a period of seemingly endless diaper changes, feedings, cleaning, and mommy calls, running is my gateway to freedom. Nothing surpasses the feeling I get from a good run. For me, physical health is vital to my spiritual and emotional well-being, and when my body is in good shape, it carries over into every other aspect of my life. While my ideal is to be able to take to the neighborhood for a run, I am grateful that Forrest has set up my treadmill in the garage to suffice until then. (And being that it faces a window, I can almost trick myself into thinking that I am outside.) I managed to get in a good 20 minutes, not bad for the first go-around, followed by 5 minutes of core exercises. And the best part is that when I came back inside, the house was just as quiet as I had left it. Victory! My goal is to run 3-4 days a week and eventually make it outside, providing I have someone to watch the kids. I have just over five weeks to train for the 5K, and with a little effort I feel that I can come in with a competitive time. It's a good place to start. Saturday marks the end of my six week postpartum period, and there's not too much I can complain about. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment