Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Best Mile Time

Distance: 4 miles
Time: 39:12

Average mile: 9:48

This probably means more to me than it does to most of you, but I ran my best average mile time today. Since the beginning of my running career (when I started training for my first 10k) my goal has always been a 10 minute mile. So, if I am training for a 10 k, I aim to do it in 60 minutes, a 5 k, 30 minutes. However, I am usually a few minutes over this goal, so my average mile time ranges anywhere from 10:15-11:00. This seems like a slow pace, but it's one thing to run an 8 minute mile, and another thing to run six of them (try it.) Anyhow, today I beat my record. I'm not sure if it's because I ran in the afternoon when I had some lunch in my stomach, or that the weather is cooling off, but what this also tells me is that my training is yielding results. I absolutely love the training program I am on and the structure it has given to my runs, and I can't wait to resume it after my pregnancy (assuming I'll stop.) I have not run this consistently or progressively for a long time, and it feels great. It makes me sad to think that any day now I could be hit with that first wave of nausea and have to stop (which I am secretly hoping won't happen) but I am going to give my body all the boost I can while I am feeling it. I always knew I'd pursue running, and I look forward to years of training after I am done having my babies. I'm going to be one of those 60-year-old ladies who's out there running marathons. Not because I'm great at it, but because I love it.

1 comment: