Monday, October 11, 2010

Running Funnies




As I dozed in and out this morning just as the sky was beginning to change from black to gray, I debated whether or not to get up for my morning run. As I slipped back into sleep, I had a dream that I was leaving my house for a run. As I rounded the corner, there stood an enormous wolf. I quickly retreated, heading back for my front door. Just before I reached the handle, I heard him growling at the back of my neck. I froze... then woke up. I looked around at three of my children sprawled, sleeping, on my bed, and decided this was a safer place to stay. Between the coyote that crossed my path the other morning and the mountain lion spotting in my neighbor's backyard, maybe this was an omen.

Dialogue between Forrest and I the other day:
Forrest: "I can see a difference in you since you've been running. It looks like you are slimming down."

Me: "You notice? Thanks. See a difference in the back?"
(Spin around so back side is facing Forrest.) "See, it's barely even there!"

Forrest: (uncomfortable pause, awkward silence.)

Me: "Okay, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration."

Hey, you can't change what genetics gave you, only work with it.

I did get out for a run today, but it wasn't until after 1:00. Here is what I learned:

*There is nothing wrong with zig-zagging across the street to catch every patch of shade you can.
*Even the slowest of runs is faster and better than a walk.
*Never turn up your earphones louder than the propane truck behind you.
*Lastly, I would almost prefer wolves and coyotes to afternoon heat.

Distance: 3 miles
Time: 30:58


Recovery drink: Raspberry-banana protein smoothie with soy milk, ground flax seed and honey.

4 comments:

  1. That is hilarious! But let's be honest, we don't want it to go away altogether. A little junk in the trunk is a good thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Tis the story of my life. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny! My wolfs must have ran over into your dreams, b/c that is what my "scary" recurring dreams contain.
    That smoothie sounds delicious, too!! I've heard flax seed is great to add to smoothies for the health boost-maybe I need to pick up some for us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope our mountain lion conversation didn't contribute to you having that dream :)

    ReplyDelete