Thursday, October 21, 2010

Fruits of our Labor

Well, I was pretty happy with the output of our garden this year. We had a variety which included two kinds of tomatoes, bell peppers, mint, basil, green onions, and wildflowers. It was kind of nice to not have to go to the store every time I needed produce. I used a lot of the green onions in my homemade ranch, and on an occasional Sunday I would have the kids gather a handful of cherry tomatoes for our salad (in lieu of running to the store.) Noah has had this watermelon on his plant for quite some time, and truth be told it was almost forgotten about. With the incoming of fall I have been somewhat negligent of our garden (to say the least) and this trusty little guy has been diligently hanging out on the vine, waiting to be picked. My poor garden is still trying to produce despite my lack of watering. Noah has been talking about "selling" his watermelon all summer long. (I think he's been inspired by the Farmer's Market.)
I was a little unsure of what we'd be cutting in to, but the flesh was a beautiful red.
The fruit was quite tasty and, between the kids and I, was gone in a matter of minutes.
You were good to us little melon!

No comments:

Post a Comment