Saturday, October 9, 2010

Fall Foods

Fall is in the air and I am thoroughly enjoying getting a jump start on my baking. I love the taste and texture of nutrient-dense fall foods such as squash, pumpkins, and hearty grains. Here is a sampling of what we've been trying:

This is a recipe from the Cooking with JC class. It's in your recipe packet, and I highly suggest you try it! (Roxanne, this is what I'll be bringing to Thanksgiving.)

Warm Hearth Pumpkin-Pecan Cake
I start with all the goods from Trader Joe's: (where else can you find a healthier version of a boxed cake mix?)
1 lg. can pumpkin
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 12 oz. cans evaporated milk
dash salt
2 tsp. cinnamon, 1 tsp. ginger, dash cloves, dash nutmeg
(or you can substitute a good amount of pumpkin pie spice)
1 box yellow cake mix
3/4 stick butter, cut into pats
fresh whipped cream and caramel sauce
1 c. chopped pecans

Combine eggs, pumpkin, sugar, milk and spices. Spread in bottom of 9x13 greased pan. Top with cake mix and dot with butter. Bake at 350 for 45-60 mins. Serve topped with chopped pecans, caramel sauce, and whipped cream.

Yummy!

Kaitlyn loves to help in the kitchen.
Here is my homemade caramel sauce. You can use any version you'd like.
I had this every day until it was gone. So good and comforting!
Next up: Buttermilk Quinoa Pancakes. This is a recipe from my friend Nikki, who is a "vegetarian health nut," as she refers to herself. I call her gifted. She is the one who introduced me to the wonderful grain quinoa, and we have been loving it ever since. Who knew it could be so versatile?

1.5 c. flour (white, wheat, or any combination- I used 100% whole wheat)
1-3 T. sugar
salt, 1 tsp. baking soda, 2 tsp. baking powder
dash nutmeg or cinnamon
2 eggs
3 T. melted butter
1.5 c. buttermilk (the secret ingredient)
splash vanilla (I used Mexican)
1 to 1.5 c. cooked quinoa

*Cook quinoa by rinsing 1 c. dry grain in cold water and boiling in 2c. water. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer about 15 mins. or until all liquid is absorbed.
*For pancakes: combine dry ingredients. In second bowl, mix wet ingredients. Fold wet into dry and mix in cooked quinoa.
*Drop 1/4 c. batter onto hot skillet and turn when bubbles appear.

Serve with real maple syrup!

Another favorite as of late has been creamy butternut squash soup, also from the cooking class. There is no recipe per se, and I don't have any pictures, but I can share the basic impromptu cooking method:

Butternut Squash Soup
*Peel and dice 1/2 of an onion and sautee in butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
*Peel and cube 1/2 of a butternut squash and 4-6 small red potatoes. Add to pot.
*Cover with chicken or vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
*Simmer, uncovered, 20-30 minutes or until all veggies are soft.
*Using a hand blender (or a VitaMix if you have one) puree all broth and vegetables.
*Return to pan and season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
*Stir in 1/2-1 c. of heavy whipping cream. Heat thoroughly.

This soup is so, so good. I've already made it three times this week, and my kids absolutely love it. In fact, I'm off to make another batch right now!

Happy Fall

2 comments:

  1. You are very kind. I still stand by what I said before. You are a far superior cook than I, and much more adventerous too! All of these recipes look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you like me soup recipe that much!! I love the picture of kaitlyn.

    ReplyDelete