Sunday, October 3, 2010

Conference Weekend

I always look forward to General Conference every six months. It gives us the opportunity to take inventory of our lives, assess where we're headed, and hit the reset button if need be.

Ever since I have begun running in the mornings instead of the evenings, my body naturally wakes up around 5:30 or 6:00 ready to go. And, I'm actually disappointed on the days I don't get to run. But today that early-morning rising gave me the opportunity to start cinnamon rolls before anyone was awake. After all, what would conference weekend be without an ooey- gooey breakfast? It's half of what we look forward to. : )
The kids always stay engaged with a game of Conference Bingo. We use various goodies for markers, such as M&Ms or Skittles. This time it was Fruit Loops, Jacob's request. It's amazing how intent they are on the speakers when they have an incentive! After they get a Bingo, they get to eat the treat in that row.
I especially enjoyed the Prophet's talk on gratitude. Talk about powerful and humbling. Remember what we said about hitting the reset button? This talk did it for me.
We all had to huddle into the office and gather around the computer, as we do not have cable or satellite (I wouldn't have it any other way.) I do, however, love the convenience of being able to watch it live from home, and Forrest tends to listen to the talks for months after on his phone.
And when I wasn't holding Rachel or getting up to get something for the kids, I was knitting. Here is one baby leg I finished today.
To top of the night, we had the yummiest dinner: crockpot pot roast, oven roasted potatoes, butternut squash soup (an adaptation of Tiffany's recipe) and a green salad. There seemed to be a special spirit in our home, and I think we all felt it. I am grateful to have heard the words of our inspired prophet and apostles.

2 comments: