Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Clutter Clearing and New Goals

I was asked to teach a class this Friday on clearing the clutter from your life. I am basing it on principles of Feng Shui. In doing so, I have had a chance to review this, my favorite book on clutter clearing. It came into my life a few years ago and revolutionized my ideas about how we keep our living spaces. I have to be honest and say that I am not where I want to be right now in terms of my house, and I am setting some goals to get back on track. A large part is the house itself. It just hasn't been the same since we moved here, and I really struggle with missing the old house. I was the happiest I had ever been there. Nonetheless, this is where we live, and I aim to make the most of it. This house has many benefits, like two nice grassy yards, beautiful landscaping, and a large garage, but the "feng shui" energy isn't the same. I think it has a lot to do with lighting, colors, and the smaller bedrooms, bathrooms, and closets. So, I struggle. Anyhow, the goals:

*Do laundry every day. This is in an attempt to make it less overwhelming. Gone are the days of sorting the hampers once a week. After all, if I can keep up with my dishes, I should be able to keep up with my laundry.

*Give extra attention to one room or area of my house every day for as long as it takes. Yesterday while cleaning the kitchen, I took an extra few minutes to de-clutter a corner of the counter and take down some of the stuff on my refrigerator (old papers and magnets that didn't need to be there anymore.) I also tidied up the dining room / classroom area. It is amazing what a difference it makes to do little extras like this, and there are so many area of my house that could benefit from this attention.

That is all for now. I know there are only two, but I want to keep my goals attainable. If you get a chance, check out Karen Kingston's book from the library or order it on Amazon for $10. I promise you will benefit from her wisdom and insight.

2 comments:

  1. I am a HUGE believer in the energy of a house. When we bought the house we are in now we were planning on remodeling it and then selling right away. Well the market had a different plan. I have never liked the feel of my house either. As with you I am trying to make the best of it but I think the energy makes such a huge difference!!

    I can't wait to hear some of your ideas at the class. I went to the organizing class offered through the MOMS Club and the lady suggested the same book. I'm going to order it tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you make your blog so good? I love it!

    ReplyDelete